Despite promises from the Ford government that no teachers would be laid off due to his cutbacks to education, local media outlets are reporting just that in communities across Ontario.
- The Upper Grand District School Board has issued 56 layoff notices to secondary school teachers on top of 54 elementary teacher cuts already announced, according to a report from a Guelph radio station.
- The Toronto District School Board said it would need to cut 216 elementary teachers, according to a report from CTV News.
- Up to 100 redundancy notices have been sent out by the Greater Essex School Board, according to a report in the Windsor Star.
- The Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board will need 55 fewer high school teachers to teach more children, says the local OSSTF president in an article in the Peterborough Examiner.
- The Bluewater District School Board – in Education Minister Lisa Thompson’s electoral district – will lose up to 50 teachers, according to a report from Blackburn News.
- The Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board is handing out redundancy notices to 42 teachers, according to a report in The Hamilton Spectator.
We will report on further layoff and redundancy notices as we receive news about them.