Once ETFO’s overall bargaining goals have been approved by Representative Council, ETFO develops two draft lists of items to be bargained at its central tables – one list of items for the teacher/occasional teacher central table and one list of items for the education worker central table.
ETFO’s 2018 Annual Meeting delegates approved a process to determine the draft list of matters to be presented at ETFO’s central bargaining tables. The process, which has been incorporated into ETFO’s Bylaws, is as follows:
- As mandated by the School Boards Collective Bargaining Act, ETFO negotiates at two separate central bargaining tables – one table for Teachers/Occasional Teachers and one table for Designated Early Childhood Educators, Educational Support Personnel and Professional Support Personnel (which is called the “education worker central table”).
- For each central bargaining table, ETFO’s Provincial Executive recommends a draft list of matters to be presented at that central table. The draft list of matters is called “the central list.”
- The draft central lists recommended by the Executive are then shared with local presidents and chief negotiators at a meeting. During the meeting, there is an opportunity to provide input on the draft central lists.
- Local presidents may opt to approve the draft central lists at this meeting through a simple majority vote, or they may refer a list back to the Executive for revisions.
- Presidents vote to approve the draft central list relevant to their membership (e.g., a teacher local president would vote to approve the central list for the teacher/occasional teacher central table, a DECE local president would vote to approve the list for the education worker central table, etc.).
If necessary, the Executive will present a revised draft central list at a subsequent meeting of local presidents and chief negotiators for approval through a majority vote of presidents present at the meeting.