The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) will continue week two of rotating strikes, having sent the five-day required strike notice for Durham, Durham Catholic, Lambton Kent and Algoma school boards for Thursday January 30.
“Minister Lecce is wrong when he says our strike action is about money,” said ETFO President Sam Hammond. “Ask any ETFO educator and they will tell you that lack of supports for children with special needs, large class sizes and the violent incidents occurring in classrooms due to lack of supports for students with unique learning needs are the reasons they are willing to go on strike.”
“These were the bargaining priorities that our members asked ETFO to pursue in a province-wide survey sent to them last year.”
“ETFO is very disappointed that Ford’s Education Minister Lecce has not come back to the bargaining table to negotiate key issues affecting students, student learning and educators,” said ETFO President Sam Hammond. “It is now 37 days since ETFO’s last bargaining session on December 19, 2019.
“I am concerned at the amount of disinformation that Minister Lecce is saying to the public through the media and social media. Either he is misinformed about what has taken place during contract talks or he is purposefully sharing inaccurate information to cover up the continuing cuts he wants to make to public education.”
To arrange interviews with local presidents and members, please contact:
Durham strike coordinators: Kalpana Makan, cell: 416-476-8302, firstname.lastname@example.org or
Ruth Dawson, cell: 416-529-7019, email@example.com
Lambton Kent locals: Jason Johnston, Strike Coordinator, cell: 416-948-0393, firstname.lastname@example.org
Algoma locals: Alice Te, Strike Coordinator, cell: 416-200-6145, email@example.com
ETFO Provincial Media Relations: Valerie Dugale, cell: 416-948-0195, firstname.lastname@example.org